15.6 million bottles of English (and Welsh) wine were produced in 2018.
In celebration of ‘English Wine Week’ a large event that involves several local wine producers from different English regions, with the shared goal of promoting fine English wines, and the 39th edition of the London Wine Fair at Olympia on 20-22 May 2019 we thought we would compile our own list of 6 interesting facts about wine.
1) Young red wines are better for your health than older red wines due to their higher level tannin.
2) The colour of each wine comes from the colour of the grape skins.
3) There are over 1,300 wine grape varieties used in commercial production but only about 100 of these varieties make up 75% of the world’s vineyards.
4) Only about 5 percent of the world’s wines will actually improve beyond five years.
(according to Paris. Nicholas Paris, Master of Wine and director of global sourcing at E. & J. Gallo Winery)
5) The dark green wine bottle was an English invention, the work of Sir Kenelm Digby (1603-1665). Previously wine had been kept in goat skin bags.
6) A “cork-tease” is someone who constantly talks about the wine he or she will open but never does.